PREPRESS - FILE PREPARATION
At K&M Printing, we work for many different types of customers and receive hundreds of files each week. More than 90% of our pre-press projects are created digitally, and with changes in software and updated versions of existing software and operating systems, it becomes even more necessary to outline some of our latest requirements in file preparation when building a digital file for production at K&M Printing.
PRE PRESS STEPS TO FOLLOW TO PROPERLY PREPARE YOUR FILES:
- Provide current lasers or PDF with every job, color if possible.
- Supply every screen & printer font used in every doc or graphic.
- Delete all unused colors from files.
- Apply .125" bleeds as needed.
- Spot color names in graphics must match names in page layout.
- Also supply layered versions of Photoshop files if you have them.
- Do not apply files or support files that are not needed.
- Create vignettes in Photoshop with noise to avoid banding.
- Do not apply styles like bold or italic from font toolbar.
- Do not apply multiple returns when moving paragraphs from one page to the next.
- Proper usage of tabs will reduce potential for text reflow and misalignments.
Proper file preparation and pre press strategies will ensure that your project is completed quickly and to your expectations. Although there are numerous considerations to keep in mind for prepress file preparation, following these tips, to the best of your abilities, could save you time in the long run.
If you have specific questions about the pre-press file preparation process contact us or call us at 847-884-1100.